Pistons' Frank admits future as coach up in air
Detroit Pistons coach Lawrence Frank says he knows his future with the team is up in the air after a second straight tough season.MINNEAPOLIS -- It's been a trying season for Lawrence Frank, both on and off the court.
He missed six games to help his wife through an illness, and the young Pistons have had trouble getting any traction in his second season on the sideline.
Frank knows that when another disappointing season in Detroit comes to a close, general manager Joe Dumars will have a decision to make on Frank's job.
Rumors have already started to swirl about Frank's future, and he understands. The Pistons entered the game against Minnesota on Saturday night with a 25-51 record, good for 12th in the Eastern Conference. Sure, the Pistons are rebuilding. But Frank knows what can happen to coaches in a rebuilding process.
"When you have a record like we have, it comes with the territory," Frank said before the game. "That's the nature of this business. It's results oriented."
Frank is in his second season with the Pistons and went 25-41 last year. He said he has not had any discussions with Dumars about his job status.
"I haven't asked because I understand," Frank said. "I've been in this for a little bit. You just do the best you can and focus on what you can control."
With a promising young frontcourt including Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond and loads of cap space this summer, the Pistons could look to make big changes both on the court and with the coaching staff.
Frank is in his ninth season as a head coach in the league. He got his start with the New Jersey Nets in 2003-04 at age 33 and spent seven seasons coaching the Nets.
The way the Pistons are finishing this season isn't exactly helping Frank's cause. Detroit had lost 17 of its past 20 games heading into the game against Minnesota.
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 13 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 4 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 5 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Russia, Crimean politicians discuss referendum
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
32 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos