Sacramento adds potential Kings investor
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson has announced a new investor to help fill the role vacated by billionaire Ron Burkle in the city's bid to keep the Kings from moving to Seattle.SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson has announced a new investor to help fill the role vacated by billionaire Ron Burkle in the city's bid to keep the Kings from moving to Seattle.
Johnson said at his weekly news conference Tuesday that Sacramento developer Mark Friedman has joined the group. The announcement comes a day after Burkle backed out because of a conflict of interest stemming from his ownership stake in Relativity Sports, which manages some NBA players' careers.
Friedman said he will help build the planned arena in downtown Sacramento. He also said he had been in contact with the mayor since January and the timing of Burkle's decision had nothing to with his emergence.
Sacramento is trying to block a bid from a group that has a deal with the Maloof family to buy the Kings and move the franchise to Seattle next season. NBA owners are vetting both offers.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 57 min ago
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 1 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
1 min ago
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing...
3 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
20 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos