Report: Lions' Raiola agrees to restructure deal
Center Dominic Raiola has agreed to restructure his contract, likely keeping him in a Detroit Lions uniform for a 13th season in 2013, the Detroit Free Press reported Thursday.
The Lions earlier this month released Raiola's linemate, guard Stephen Peterman, who had started 48 straight games for Detroit, in a cost-cutting move.
Peterman was released along with defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch and receiver Titus Young in moves that cleared $8 million-plus in salary-cap space, although the Lions have acknowledged that Young, now with the St. Louis Rams, was cut mainly because he was a distraction.
The Free Press, which reported that Raiola would have counted $6.1 million against Detroit's 2013 salary cap, reported the center's decision to restructure, citing a person familiar with the agreement. The newspaper reported that Raiola's new '13 cap figure is unknown.
Raiola, 34, has played 12 seasons for the Lions, starting 172 games after being selected by Detroit in the second round of the 2001 draft.
Lions general manager Martin Mayhew has said he hopes to extend quarterback Matthew Stafford's contract this offseason for short-term help with the salary cap and a long-term gain with the leader under center the Lions have needed for decades. Stafford signed a six-year deal in 2009 with $41.7 million in guarantees that was worth as much as $78 million.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos