Source: Jets closing in on deal with Garrard
Veteran quarterback David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with the once the team can work through some salary-cap issues, a source close to the situation tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Veteran quarterback David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with the New York Jets once the team can work through some salary-cap issues, a source close to the situation tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
"Both sides are feeling good about a possible deal," the source said.
A source familiar with the situation said he sees a deal between the Jets and Garrard as likely.
Garrard had an impressive workout Thursday with the Jets, who believe he would fit well in their system. There are questions about his age and injury history, but the Jets and the 35-year-old Garrard plan to continue talking and working to consummate an agreement.
A New Jersey native, Garrard has not played in a regular-season game since 2010 with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He spent last offseason with the Miami Dolphins and was in contention for the starting job before injuring his knee during training camp.
Garrard, a longtime starter for the Jaguars, has thrown for 16,003 yards with 89 touchdowns and 54 interceptions in 86 career games.
The Jets are expected to bring in competition for quarterback Mark Sanchez, who struggled badly in 2012. In addition to Sanchez, the Jets have quarterbacks Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms on the roster. Tebow is expected to be released.
"There are a few new coaches who know David from his days in Jacksonville," one source said. "They claim it will be an open competition. If the David Garrard that they played against shows up for the Jets, they will be very happy."
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
59 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos