Forte: NFL's proposed rule change is 'absurd'
Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte called the NFL's proposed rule change that would penalize ball carriers who lower their heads to deliver a blow "absurd" on his official Twitter account.
CHICAGO -- Bears running back Matt Forte called the NFL's proposed rule change that would penalize ball carriers who lower their heads to deliver a blow "absurd" in a series of messages he posted on his official Twitter account Sunday morning.
The new rule would penalize a runner 15-yards if he initiates contact with the crown of his helmet outside of the tackle box. Incidental contact with the crown of the helmet would not be a penalty.
"The proposed rule change for running backs might be the most absurd suggestion of a rule change I've ever heard of," Forte wrote. "In order to lower ur shoulder u obviously have to lower ur head. It's a way of protecting ur self from a tackler and a way to break tackles."
Forte believes players would be unable to adjust if the new rule is put into place.
"U can't change the instinctive nature of running the football," Forte added.
NFL competition committee chairman Rich McKay cited player safety as the motivation behind the possible rule change during an interview last week with the Associated Press.
"This is pure and simple a player safety rule," McKay said. "The time has come we need to address the situation. You can't duck your head and deliver a forcible blow with your helmet."
"We're looking for the obvious fouls on this one. We realize this is a major change for players and coaches."
Forte, a 2011 Pro Bowl selection, is the fourth leading rusher in Bears' history with 5,327 yards in just 75 games. His 7,652 yards from scrimmage are the fourth highest total of any player since Forte's rookie season of 2008.
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 43 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos