Carroll: Veteran CB Winfield, 36, opts to retire
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll tweeted Saturday that veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield has decided to retire.
Wishing Antoine Winfield the best in his decision to retire. He's a consummate pro and a great team player. We were lucky to have him!— Pete Carroll (@PeteCarroll) August 31, 2013
Winfield, 36, signed as a free agent with Seattle in the offseason after the Minnesota Vikings had released him from a contract that would have paid him $7.25 million in 2013. He was starting his 15th NFL season after spending the last nine years with Minnesota, making the Pro Bowl three times.
The Seahawks had planned to make Winfield their nickel back, but he likely would have been released had he not opted to retire.
Winfield was a victim of numbers in what may be the deepest secondary in the NFL. Cornerback Walter Thurmond had an interception in the final preseason game Thursday night against the Oakland Raiders and made the roster.
Also Saturday, the Seahawks decided to keep defensive end Chris Clemons on the 53-man active roster, rather than placing him on the physically unable to perform list to start the regular season.
The move is an indication he could be back from the knee injury he suffered during the NFC playoffs at Washington last January within the first month of the season. Clemons did individual work separate from the team during training camp, but has yet to take part in a single practice. Had Seattle placed Clemons on the PUP list, he would have missed the first six games of the regular season.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos