Tseng withdraws after missing pro-am tee time
The LPGA Tour says defending champion and formerly top-ranked Yani Tseng has withdrawn from the Kia Classic after missing her pro-am tee time on Wednesday morning.CARLSBAD, Calif. -- Defending champion and formerly top-ranked Yani Tseng was dropped from the Kia Classic field after missing her 9:10 a.m. pro-am tee time Wednesday.
"I'm embarrassed to admit that I wasn't feeling well last night and accidentally overslept and missed my tee time for the pro-am this morning," Tseng said in a statement released by the tour. "I was extremely excited to compete this week to defend my title at the Kia Classic and to try to regain the No. 1 spot. This was an unfortunate mistake and I want to apologize to Kia, my sponsors and all of the fans."
On Sunday, Stacy Lewis won the LPGA Founders Cup in Phoenix to end Tseng's 109-week run at No. 1.
Tseng's coach, Gary Gilchrist, expressed astonishment that his player's narrow failure to show up for her tee time forced her to withdraw from the tourney.
"She was two minutes late for her tee time," Gilchrist told ESPNChicago.com's Melissa Isaacson. "She drove to the wrong tee. If I was a sponsor and I had the No. 2 player in the world in the field, I'd go absolutely crazy.
"Fine her five grand or 10 grand. It's not intentional. She could have played the Pro-Am. She could have played in the afternoon. I don't support the whole thing. I thought they changed the rule actually," he added.
Tseng is winless in 23 events since her Kia Classic victory last year. The 15-time LPGA Tour winner tied for 59th last week in Phoenix. She opened the season with a second-place finish in the Women's Australian Open, tied for third in the LPGA Thailand and completed the Asian swing with a tie for 28th in Singapore in the HSBC Women's Champions.
The 24-year-old Taiwanese star will return to play April 4-7 in the Kraft Nabisco Championship, the first major championship of the year, at Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage.
Lewis has won the past two events.
Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 50 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 48 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
29 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
32 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
39 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos