Vanek returns to Buffalo after stint in Austria
Sabres forward Thomas Vanek is returning to North America after completing an 11-game stint playing for his hometown team in Graz, Austria.BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Sabres forward Thomas Vanek is returning to North America after completing an 11-game stint playing for his hometown team in Graz, Austria.
In an entry Vanek posted on his website Monday, the player wrote he's on his way back to Buffalo now that Graz is entering a break in its schedule. He had five goals and 10 assists for the Erste Bank Eishockey Liga team.
Vanek wrote he's looking forward to being back with his wife and children, and is keeping his fingers crossed to see if there's any progress in NHL labor negotiations.
Vanek has not ruled out the possibility of returning to play in Europe this winter if the lockout continues.
The Sabres selected Vanek with the fifth overall pick in the 2003 draft.
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- 2015 Ford Mustang unveiling to celebrate 50 years
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
- Fire at building, church in Gary, Indiana
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos