Canada prime minister wants NHLers in Sochi
Prime Minister Stephen Harper is urging NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to let the league's stars play in the Sochi Olympics.
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper is urging NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to let the league's stars play in the Sochi Olympics.
Harper says he speaks for all Canadians who want to see the country's top players don the Maple Leaf at the Winter Games next year. NHL players have been part of the Olympics since 1998 in Nagano, Japan.
The league is mulling whether it is worth shutting down its season for a few weeks to allow its players to take part.
The NHL, International Olympic Committee, International Ice Hockey Federation and NHL Players' Association met earlier this year to discuss the matter.
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos