Canada prime minister wants NHLers in Sochi
Prime Minister Stephen Harper is urging NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to let the league's stars play in the Sochi Olympics.
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper is urging NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to let the league's stars play in the Sochi Olympics.
Harper says he speaks for all Canadians who want to see the country's top players don the Maple Leaf at the Winter Games next year. NHL players have been part of the Olympics since 1998 in Nagano, Japan.
The league is mulling whether it is worth shutting down its season for a few weeks to allow its players to take part.
The NHL, International Olympic Committee, International Ice Hockey Federation and NHL Players' Association met earlier this year to discuss the matter.
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos