Wings' DeKeyser done after broken thumb
Detroit Red Wings rookie defenseman Danny DeKeyser is expected to miss the remainder of the playoffs after an injury late in Detroit's 5-4 overtime win over the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday.Impressive Detroit Red Wings rookie defenseman Danny DeKeyser is expected to miss the remainder of the playoffs after an injury late in Detroit's 5-4 overtime win over the Anaheim Ducks on Thursday.
"He's done," Detroit coach Mike Babcock said during the postgame news conference. An NHL source confirmed to ESPN.com that DeKeyser suffered a broken thumb.
It's a huge loss for the Red Wings, who had leaned heavily on the smooth-skating rookie since he signed with them in late March after finishing his season at Western Michigan University.
He played nearly 20 minutes in making his playoff debut in Game 1 and followed it up with another 16:15 in Game 2, before the injury cut his game short. The Red Wings have depth on defense, and can turn to a group that includes veterans Ian White and Carlo Colaiacovo and rookie Brian Lashoff for Game 3 on Saturday in Detroit.
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn 21 min ago
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper 8 min ago
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos