Kovalchuk's hat trick powers Russia at worlds
Ilya Kovalchuk's hat trick led Russia to a 4-1 victory over Germany at the ice hockey world championships Sunday, and Switzerland stunned Canada in a penalty shootout to win 3-2.
HELSINKI -- Ilya Kovalchuk's hat trick helped give Russia a 4-1 victory over Germany at the ice hockey world championships Sunday, and Switzerland stunned Canada in a penalty shootout to win 3-2.
Kovalchuk scored twice in the second period and added his third with 1:40 left to play after John Tripp had pulled a goal back for the Germans. Denis Kokarev capped the scoring into an empty net to complete Russia's second win in two games at the tournament.
Switzerland also has two wins after following up its upset against Sweden by outlasting the favored Canadians in an eight-round shootout in Stockholm.
Forward Reto Suri converted twice in the shootout for Switzerland, while Matt Duchene was the only Canadian to score but missed his second try.
"This was a good boost for our young team," Switzerland goalie Martin Gerber said. "A shootout is always a gamble, sometimes you can be more patient than the player."
Denis Hollenstein gave the Swiss the lead in the first period before goals by Andrew Ladd in the second period and Matt Read in the third put Canada in front. Switzerland was then lucky to equalize 13:14 into the third when a shot bounced off the crossbar and caused a scramble in front of goal as a crowd of players fought for the puck -- which ended up trickling over the line.
A video review showed the last contact was made by Nino Niederreiter with a skate, but it was ruled unintentional and the goal stood.
Earlier, France beat newcomer Austria 3-1 to boost its chances of staying in the premier group at the worlds next year, while Belarus edged the other newcomer, Slovenia, 4-3.
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 58 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos