Stars acquire veteran Gonchar from Senators
The Dallas Stars acquired defenseman Sergei Gonchar from Ottawa on Friday for a conditional sixth-round draft pick this year.
Gonchar had 15 goals and 76 assists in 186 games over three seasons for the Senators. He led Ottawa defensemen in scoring with 27 points -- three goals and 24 assists -- this season, the last of a three-year, $16.5 million contract.
The 39-year-old Gonchar was set to become an unrestricted free agent July 5. However, he signed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Stars on Monday. TSN earlier reported the agreement Saturday.
Gonchar has 217 goals and 558 assists in 1,117 games over 18 seasons. The Russian spent his first nine seasons with Washington and also played for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Information from ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Man shot in Lincoln Square 3 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos