Couples await final decision on Prop 8
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco City Hall has seen more than its share of history. Same sex marriage is just one of the chapters, but a personal one for John Lewis and Stuart Gaffney, who said their vows in the building.
"It was at that moment that I felt for the first time I was an equal human being in the eyes of our government," Lewis said.
That passion for equality the drove them to the streets Tuesday, as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Proposition 8, much to the frustration of its supporters.
"Well it was expected; this is just another stop on the way to the Supreme Court," Catholics for a Common Good spokesperson Bill May said.
The longer it takes to reach a final decision, the more the frustration for same-sex couples like Jeff Tabaco and Thom Watson, who say their relationship would be complete with a marriage certificate. They have both romantic and practical considerations.
"Jeff covers me on his health insurance; he is taxed on that as though it is an additional salary, married couples are not taxed that way," Watson said.
So they, too, marched Tuesday morning and won't be stopping anytime soon.
"This is very important to us; getting married is one of the big steps you take in life," Watson said.
same sex marriage, 9th u.s. circuit court of appeals, california news, wayne freedman
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 58 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 58 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 36 min ago
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 24 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home