Couples await final decision on Prop 8
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco City Hall has seen more than its share of history. Same sex marriage is just one of the chapters, but a personal one for John Lewis and Stuart Gaffney, who said their vows in the building.
"It was at that moment that I felt for the first time I was an equal human being in the eyes of our government," Lewis said.
That passion for equality the drove them to the streets Tuesday, as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Proposition 8, much to the frustration of its supporters.
"Well it was expected; this is just another stop on the way to the Supreme Court," Catholics for a Common Good spokesperson Bill May said.
The longer it takes to reach a final decision, the more the frustration for same-sex couples like Jeff Tabaco and Thom Watson, who say their relationship would be complete with a marriage certificate. They have both romantic and practical considerations.
"Jeff covers me on his health insurance; he is taxed on that as though it is an additional salary, married couples are not taxed that way," Watson said.
So they, too, marched Tuesday morning and won't be stopping anytime soon.
"This is very important to us; getting married is one of the big steps you take in life," Watson said.
same sex marriage, 9th u.s. circuit court of appeals, california news, wayne freedman
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 1 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days 39 min ago
- Midlothian store allegedly burglarized 3 times in 1 night 31 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos