Court to decide whether to rule on gay marriage
SAN FRANCISCO -- U.S. Supreme Court justices will go behind closed doors this week to decide whether now is the time to rule on same-sex marriage.
Sunday's Los Angeles Times reports that on Friday the court will sift through appeals on California's Proposition 8 and the National Defense of Marriage Act.
The issue is not just what to decide but when it should be decided.
In the past, the court has been criticized for waiting too long or moving too quickly to recognize constitutional rights.
same sex marriage, supreme court, california news
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 17 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 36 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
17 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos