TCEQ: Staff at West blast, monitoring environment
WACO, TX -- The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality says its staff is positioned within a quarter mile of a Central Texas fertilizer plant to monitor air quality and other environmental concerns.
The agency issued a statement early Thursday, saying its staff was close to the scene in West at the request of emergency personnel. They were also monitoring environmental conditions outside that perimeter.
Wednesday evening's fire and explosion killed between five and 15 people and injured more than 160 others.
But authorities say the death toll is only an estimate because search and rescue operations are still under way.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 28 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food 37 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run 25 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
28 min ago
abc7chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos