Evidence collected at home where 8-year-old girl was murdered
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. -- On Wednesday investigators returned to a Gold Country neighborhood, looking for clues in the brutal murder of an 8-year-old girl in a Northern California town. Leila Fowler's body was found stabbed to death this past Saturday in her Valley Springs home.
The sheriff's department held a briefing Wednesday afternoon. Investigators are reaching out to other agencies in Northern California to see if there are any similar crimes involving children. We also know they are focusing heavily on that house that Leila was killed.
"We still have search warrants in progress at that house," said Sgt. Chris Hewitt, a spokesperson for the Calaveras County Sheriff's Office.
Calaveras County Sheriff's officials say they have no new significant breaks in the 8-year-old's murder. But they did reveal what kind of evidence they've taken from the Fowler home.
"Some DNA evidence, I cannot go into any further information on that," Sgt. Hewitt said. "We've collected some fingerprints, and we've collected a few knives. Those are being examined to determine if one of those knives might have been the weapon that was used against Leila."
Calaveras Sheriff's confirmed they did send a detective to Placerville Wednesday morning to take a DNA sample from Jason Wayrynen. He was arrested Tuesday for trying to abduct a toddler. At this point, detectives say there's no clear connection to the Fowler case, but they want to make sure.
Meantime, highway patrol cars continue to block each end of the road where the Fowler home is located.
"They came and searched our trash the other day," neighbor Julie Hall said.
This neighbor is growing frustrated with the heavy police presence.
"I'm frustrated, yeah, I'm frustrated that, you know what, that we can't live a normal life again, and, you know what, I'd imagine that Leila's family would like to live a normal life again," Hall said.
On Wednesday we asked if any DNA samples have been taken from the Fowler family, or if any of them have taken a lie detector test, but officials would not answer those questions.
A Memorial Fund has been set up for Leila Fowler at F&M Bank of Central California. Please mail all donations to:
18836 E. Main Street
Linden, CA 95236
Questions: (209) 887-2299
Routing # 1211 08441
crime, children, murder, child death, california news, laura anthony
- Chicago River dyeing a St. Patrick's Day tradition 57 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...