Placerville man no longer suspect in 8-year-old's murder
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. -- A Placerville man has been ruled out as a possible suspect in the murder of an 8-year-old girl and Calaveras County sheriff's investigators now say they believe Leila Fowler's killer is someone close to the gold country community where the little girl was murdered.
"We have no information that leads us to believe that any cases outside of our area involving children are related to our current investigation," Sgt. Chris Hewitt said. Sheriffs did send a detective to Placerville to check out a suspect in an attempted child abduction there. "It was determined that we can officially rule that person out as a suspect in our case," Hewitt said.
Fowler, 8, was found by her 12-year-old brother Saturday afternoon at her family's Valley Springs home. Police say she died from multiple stab wounds. For those who live there and those who know Leila's family, each day without a significant break in the case is that much more difficult. "I'm scared to death every night. I haven't slept since this has all happened. I'm up all hours of the night, checking on my kids," Valley Springs resident Beverly Whitaker said.
Investigators say they have collected several knives from the home but don't know yet if any of them is the murder weapon.
A Memorial Fund has been set up for Leila Fowler at F&M Bank of Central California. Please mail all donations to:
18836 E. Main Street
Linden, CA 95236
Questions: (209) 887-2299
Routing # 1211 08441
crime, children, murder, child death, california news, laura anthony
- Winter storm dumps on city, suburbs 1 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase 3 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary