Placerville man no longer suspect in 8-year-old's murder
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. -- A Placerville man has been ruled out as a possible suspect in the murder of an 8-year-old girl and Calaveras County sheriff's investigators now say they believe Leila Fowler's killer is someone close to the gold country community where the little girl was murdered.
"We have no information that leads us to believe that any cases outside of our area involving children are related to our current investigation," Sgt. Chris Hewitt said. Sheriffs did send a detective to Placerville to check out a suspect in an attempted child abduction there. "It was determined that we can officially rule that person out as a suspect in our case," Hewitt said.
Fowler, 8, was found by her 12-year-old brother Saturday afternoon at her family's Valley Springs home. Police say she died from multiple stab wounds. For those who live there and those who know Leila's family, each day without a significant break in the case is that much more difficult. "I'm scared to death every night. I haven't slept since this has all happened. I'm up all hours of the night, checking on my kids," Valley Springs resident Beverly Whitaker said.
Investigators say they have collected several knives from the home but don't know yet if any of them is the murder weapon.
A Memorial Fund has been set up for Leila Fowler at F&M Bank of Central California. Please mail all donations to:
18836 E. Main Street
Linden, CA 95236
Questions: (209) 887-2299
Routing # 1211 08441
crime, children, murder, child death, california news, laura anthony
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- What electronics will be under your tree? 19 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 53 min ago
- EB 80/94 closed at Cline by multi-vehicle crash 2 min ago
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- Skokie fire lights up sky 50 min ago
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
53 min ago
- What electronics will be under your tree?
19 min ago