Placerville man no longer suspect in 8-year-old's murder
VALLEY SPRINGS, Calif. -- A Placerville man has been ruled out as a possible suspect in the murder of an 8-year-old girl and Calaveras County sheriff's investigators now say they believe Leila Fowler's killer is someone close to the gold country community where the little girl was murdered.
"We have no information that leads us to believe that any cases outside of our area involving children are related to our current investigation," Sgt. Chris Hewitt said. Sheriffs did send a detective to Placerville to check out a suspect in an attempted child abduction there. "It was determined that we can officially rule that person out as a suspect in our case," Hewitt said.
Fowler, 8, was found by her 12-year-old brother Saturday afternoon at her family's Valley Springs home. Police say she died from multiple stab wounds. For those who live there and those who know Leila's family, each day without a significant break in the case is that much more difficult. "I'm scared to death every night. I haven't slept since this has all happened. I'm up all hours of the night, checking on my kids," Valley Springs resident Beverly Whitaker said.
Investigators say they have collected several knives from the home but don't know yet if any of them is the murder weapon.
A Memorial Fund has been set up for Leila Fowler at F&M Bank of Central California. Please mail all donations to:
18836 E. Main Street
Linden, CA 95236
Questions: (209) 887-2299
Routing # 1211 08441
crime, children, murder, child death, california news, laura anthony
- South suburbs on alert after series of attacks
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Crowds descend on Rome ahead of canonization
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wrigley Field anniversary cake tossed in dumpster
- Chicago plastic bag ban OK'd by council committee
- 5 CPS schools to begin offering mariachi classes
- I-Team: Gov't officials discuss campus sex assaults
- Hinsdale woman featured in People magazine
- All Southland College Prep seniors accepted to college
- NIU hazing death case in court
- Grayslake dry cleaners chemical spill injures 4
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling
- abcnews: Avril Lavigne Slammed for New Video