48 indicted in NorCal gang crackdown
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A Santa Clara County grand jury has indicted four dozen reputed members of a violent street gang for crimes ranging from drug dealing to murder in the county's largest such case to date.
Assistant District Attorney Scott Tsui said in a statement Tuesday that 38 men and 10 women from the Nuestra Familia gang were indicted on a three-year string of 77 felonies between 2010 and late last month including conspiracy, witness intimidation, drug sales, weapons violations and murder.
The 99-page indictment also says members orchestrated several San Jose bank robberies to fund gang activities, netting more than $60,000.
Court documents say Nuestra Familia - Spanish for "Our Family" - is a violent gang that has been run from within the California and federal prison systems since the 1960s.
KGO-TV San Francisco and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Park Manor drive-by injures 5 children 14 min ago
- Man in custody in fatal hit-and-run on West Side, police say 1 min ago
- Boston Marathon 2014 winners cross finish line 1 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 6 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77