48 indicted in NorCal gang crackdown
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A Santa Clara County grand jury has indicted four dozen reputed members of a violent street gang for crimes ranging from drug dealing to murder in the county's largest such case to date.
Assistant District Attorney Scott Tsui said in a statement Tuesday that 38 men and 10 women from the Nuestra Familia gang were indicted on a three-year string of 77 felonies between 2010 and late last month including conspiracy, witness intimidation, drug sales, weapons violations and murder.
The 99-page indictment also says members orchestrated several San Jose bank robberies to fund gang activities, netting more than $60,000.
Court documents say Nuestra Familia - Spanish for "Our Family" - is a violent gang that has been run from within the California and federal prison systems since the 1960s.
KGO-TV San Francisco and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 5 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 36 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster 35 min ago
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Russia, Crimean politicians discuss referendum 22 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire 9 min ago
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
5 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
36 min ago