State Route 120 reopens as crews continue battling Rim Fire
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. -- Crews are working to strengthen the hold lines of the Rim Fire that's burning on the western side of Yosemite National Park.
On Saturday State Route 120 in the area reopened, though fire crews are still working in the area.
Firefighters expect the flames to continue to spread to the northwest into the Yosemite wilderness north of Hetch Hetchy.
The National Park Service has assembled a Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) team to assess the post-fire effects of the Rim Fire on the infrastructure and resources of Yosemite.
"Over 77 000 acres have burned within the park making this is the largest wildfire in modern history to burn in Yosemite," said BAER Team Leader Chris Holbeck in a news release. "For the most part the fire burned at a moderate to low intensity in a mosaic pattern and should prove to restore forest structure. Yosemite has some of the largest remaining tracts of old growth forests in California including giant sequoias we're working hard to keep it that way."
The fire has been burning since August 17. It has charred 400 square miles and destroyed 11 homes and more than 100 other buildings.
It is now 80 percent contained.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
fire, wildfire, evacuation, hetch hetchy, water, california news
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break 45 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 51 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 51 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
54 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water...
45 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
51 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
51 min ago