State Route 120 reopens as crews continue battling Rim Fire
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. -- Crews are working to strengthen the hold lines of the Rim Fire that's burning on the western side of Yosemite National Park.
On Saturday State Route 120 in the area reopened, though fire crews are still working in the area.
Firefighters expect the flames to continue to spread to the northwest into the Yosemite wilderness north of Hetch Hetchy.
The National Park Service has assembled a Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) team to assess the post-fire effects of the Rim Fire on the infrastructure and resources of Yosemite.
"Over 77 000 acres have burned within the park making this is the largest wildfire in modern history to burn in Yosemite," said BAER Team Leader Chris Holbeck in a news release. "For the most part the fire burned at a moderate to low intensity in a mosaic pattern and should prove to restore forest structure. Yosemite has some of the largest remaining tracts of old growth forests in California including giant sequoias we're working hard to keep it that way."
The fire has been burning since August 17. It has charred 400 square miles and destroyed 11 homes and more than 100 other buildings.
It is now 80 percent contained.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
fire, wildfire, evacuation, hetch hetchy, water, california news
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1 18 min ago
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos