CHP looking to increase female officers
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- In just six weeks, a class of 48 cadets will get to pin on their shiny new badges and wear the tan when they graduate from the Highway Patrol academy in West Sacramento. Of those 48, only two are women; that's a number the Highway Patrol is hoping to increase.
Alyssa Lorenzatti, 25, of Petaluma came to the Academy located in Sacramento in April. Today, less than seven percent of all CHP officers are women.
Just last week, the CHP took applications and held a special open house inviting anyone, but especially women, to come and check out the Academy to learn more about becoming a CHP officer.
"Just to have diversity within the department. We're always looking for the best candidates," said Academy Captain and Commander Chuck King.
Lorenzatti points out that once you're a cadet, everyone is treated equal.
"It can be kind of intimidating at times , but we're treated exactly the same by all the instructors and classmates. We are all one unit and no one looks at the gender so much. We have all earned the right to be here," said Lorenzatti.
The CHP takes in an average of 20,000 applications every year. After rigorous background checks and exams, only one-to-two percent of those applicants ever make it as an officer.
Lorenzatti has already become a stand out in her class; the academy made her a company commander.
"They saw that I am extremely dedicated," said Lorenzatti.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree; her father is a now-retired CHP veteran who served Marin County for 27 years.
"He brought me to the Academy on several occasions and I found that their training and professionalism through my visits are top notch," said Lorenzatti.
Lorenzatti after graduation she would love to be with her family in the Bay Area or possibly be assigned to Los Angeles where a large number of new officers get their first assignments.
sacramento, CHP, crime, california news, leyla gulen
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by 43 min ago
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night 32 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 2 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77
14 min ago
- Divvy Week kicks off in Chicago
36 min ago