Roman numerals on senior class sweatshirt have gang ties
ELK GROVE, Calif. -- A high school senior sweatshirt controversy has administrators promising a refund and parents saying keep the money, just change the sweater.
It all revolves around the Roman numerals XIV stamped on the sweatshirt.
They represent 14 for the class of 2014 at Cosumnes Oaks High School in Elk Grove. But some parents say the numbers have a deeper meaning.
The number 14 is often associated with the Nortenos gang.
School administrators say students innocently chose the design.
"It was vetted by a number of people, but those individuals did not know about the connection," said Liz Graswhich with the Elk Grove Unified School District.
"That's baloney," parent Anna Trejo said. "I mean, really? You got the cops here. I mean, they even know it."'
The Sacramento County Sheriff's Gang Unit notified the school of the possible gang connection.
School officials say they are notifying parents of that and offering a refund.
gang violence, california news
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 10 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt 42 min ago
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- 2 kids who died with dad in I-65 crash ID'd 26 min ago
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says 4 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos