Sun spots may unleash solar flares
May 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sun spots could unleash solar flares toward earth.
NASA tracked a dark hole on the sun's surface. It is expected to launch a solar storm, which creates flares.
Sun spots are caused by extreme magnetic activity. They are not expected to cause any major damage, but could have an impact on some of your electronic gadgets.
Solar flares can also affect power grids and satellites.
- Fire at building, church in Gary, Indiana 8 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages 27 min ago
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos