Sun spots may unleash solar flares
May 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sun spots could unleash solar flares toward earth.
NASA tracked a dark hole on the sun's surface. It is expected to launch a solar storm, which creates flares.
Sun spots are caused by extreme magnetic activity. They are not expected to cause any major damage, but could have an impact on some of your electronic gadgets.
Solar flares can also affect power grids and satellites.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake