Sun spots may unleash solar flares
May 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sun spots could unleash solar flares toward earth.
NASA tracked a dark hole on the sun's surface. It is expected to launch a solar storm, which creates flares.
Sun spots are caused by extreme magnetic activity. They are not expected to cause any major damage, but could have an impact on some of your electronic gadgets.
Solar flares can also affect power grids and satellites.
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Woman killed, 4 critically injured in Far South Side crash
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos