Sun spots may unleash solar flares
May 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sun spots could unleash solar flares toward earth.
NASA tracked a dark hole on the sun's surface. It is expected to launch a solar storm, which creates flares.
Sun spots are caused by extreme magnetic activity. They are not expected to cause any major damage, but could have an impact on some of your electronic gadgets.
Solar flares can also affect power grids and satellites.
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway 40 min ago
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond 27 min ago
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Beer lawsuit alleges hockey arena charged $3 more for same-size...
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M 36 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- 7 in :77
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
40 min ago