Sun spots may unleash solar flares
May 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Sun spots could unleash solar flares toward earth.
NASA tracked a dark hole on the sun's surface. It is expected to launch a solar storm, which creates flares.
Sun spots are caused by extreme magnetic activity. They are not expected to cause any major damage, but could have an impact on some of your electronic gadgets.
Solar flares can also affect power grids and satellites.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 22 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from... 12 min ago
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 To Go, December 11, 2013
33 min ago