First text message sent 20 years ago today
December 3, 2012 (WLS) -- It may seem hard to believe but the first text was sent 20 years ago today.
On Dec. 3, 1992, the first telephone text message was sent by British engineer Neil Papworth, who transmitted the greeting "Merry Christmas" from his work computer in Newbury, Berkshire, to Vodafone executive Richard Jarvis' mobile phone.
SMS, or short messaging service, has declined in popularity in recent years because of free alternatives like Skype and Twitter.
However, texting remains the most widely used application in the world. Eighty-one percent of mobile phone subscribers text.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits