AAA: Go online, plan trips to combat costs
Some tips for cutting down on the cost of gas.
Check out fuel prices online
Fuel prices are posted online at www.fuelgaugereport.com, a website from AAA that updates prices daily for unleaded, diesel and E85 blends of fuel.
ABC7's Cheap Gas Price Checker helps you find the lowest price in your area.
AAA Fuel Cost Calculator (www.aaafuelcostcalculator.com) helps users understand and budget for the amount of fuel they are likely to use on a long-distance trip. After entering the trip's origin and destination, and the type of vehicle being driven,
The site calculates the miles driven, the amount of fuel that will be used and the cost. It also can tell motorists the difference in fuel costs for various vehicles, helping them to determine which vehicle is most cost effective to drive.
Earlier this year, AAA enhanced its online trip planning tool, TripTik Travel Planner found at www.AAA.com, with location and fuel pricing information for more than 100,000 U.S. gas stations. Using the planner, travelers can note the locations of convenient fuel stops along their vacation driving route.
AAA provides fuel-saving tips and advice to consumers through many local AAA club Web sites (www.AAA.com)as well as on its AAA Exchange site (http://www.AAA.com/publicaffairs) which includes fuel conservation information in a downloadable brochure titled, "AAA Gas Watcher's Guide."
Some tips from the guide include:
- Stick to a routine maintenance schedule.
- Keeping tires inflated, moving components properly lubricated and ignition and emission systems operating properly will help ensure maximum fuel efficiency and extend the life of your vehicle.
- If you own more than one vehicle, use the more energy-conserving vehicle as often as possible.
- Consolidate trips and errands to cut down on driving time and miles traveled. When possible, combine them with your daily commute.
- If you are going somewhere new, get a map first from an online source such as AAA TripTik (www.AAA.com). Getting lost wastes gas as well as time.
- Comparison shop by phone or online if possible before heading out on the road.
- Slow down. For most vehicles, fuel economy drops off significantly when traveling more than 60 miles per hour. As a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas.
- Avoid quick starts and sudden stops. They waste fuel, are harder on vehicle components and increase the odds of a traffic crash.
- Lighten your vehicle by cleaning out the trunk, cargo areas and passenger compartments. A heavier vehicle uses more fuel.
- Keep your eyes open for low fuel prices but don't waste gas driving to a distant filling station to save a few cents.
AAA Fuel Gauge Report and AAA Fuel Cost Calculator are based on data from Oil Price Information Service, the nation's most comprehensive source of petroleum pricing information.
AAA Chicago has represented roadway interests for motorists and pedestrians and serves as a leading advocate for various traffic safety and travel-related issues for more than a century.
For more information on any aspect of AAA Chicago's breadth of service including AAA's home, auto and life insurance products; travel-related services, AAA's Show Your Card & Save program; and/or any AAA membership service including emergency roadside assistance, please visit our Web site at www.AAA.com or call us toll-free at 1-866-YOUR-AAA (968-7222).
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake