Miss Illinois 2009 Erin O'Connor
January 11, 2010 -- Miss Illinois 2009 visited ABC7 to discuss her life and reign.
When is your birthday:
I was born August 17, 1988. I am 20 years old.
What year will you complete school?
I am a senior at Western Illinois University. I will complete my degree after I return to school in the fall of 2010.
I won preliminary swimsuit and the community service award at the Miss Illinois Scholarship Pageant. I am the recipient of the Pearl Le Compte scholarship at Western Illinois. And I won the Altrusa Essay Contest at the Miss Macomb pageant for my platform essay.
Skin Cancer Prevention
Do you have any experience with your personal platform?
My Mom lost her long battle with Melanoma, the most deadly form of Skin Cancer on May 23, 2007. Since that time, I have devoted myself to Skin Cancer prevention by working as an Advocate for the American Cancer Society.
I am a theatre major and have participated in many shows at Western, including Juliet in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Mary Phagan in Parade, and Lavinia in Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus. I spent the Spring semester of 2008 Studying at Regents College London.
After completing my year as Miss Illinois I hope to graduate from Western with a Bachelors Degree in Theatre and Dance, and possibly pursue my Masters in Fine Arts.
Visit www.missillinois.org for scholarship opportunities
- Tanker truck rollover closes eastbound Indiana Toll Road
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- London theater balcony believed to have collapsed 4 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts 5 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus