Step by Step: Oil Changes
November 9, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Facebook fan who is 16 says she wants a car but doesn't know how to change the oil.
Step 1: Get a jack from an auto store to raise your car all the way up. You don't want to use the kind that you use to change a flat tire because it could come tumbling down.
Step 2: The oil cap is usually on top of the valve cover. Take it off. You need to put the right weight of oil inside the vehicle. Then pull out the dipstick. Check the level of the oil in there and wipe it down. On the dipstick, there are markings to indicate the oil level.
Step 3: Find the drain plug right underneath the engine. It is close to all the belts, close to the engine parts. It looks a lot like the transmission drain plug. If you confuse the two, you could be in a lot of trouble, so look for the engine drain plug. Loosen it up and then get the drain pan and let it all drain out. You'll want an oil filter tool.
Step 4: When you take off the oil filter, you have to make sure that the rubber gasket is still on. If it's not, it will be easy to slide off. It just sticks to it because of heat. Take it off. Make sure it is off. Look up there with a flashlight and make sure the surface is clean.
Step 5: It always helps to put on a new oil filter. You have to have the right number, also. Put a little oil around the gasket so the next time you do the oil change it's not stuck on there.
Step 6: Get a funnel so you don't pour oil all over your engine. Pour. Make sure you know how much ioil your car needs and what type.
resources, hosea sanders
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill 21 min ago
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM 25 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery 27 min ago
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes 3 min ago
- Attempted child abduction reported on West Side 36 min ago
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville 5 min ago
- CTA Red Line resumes service 47th to 95th/Dan Ryan
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Wonder Lake man charged with sexually abusing juvenile
- 'Blues Brothers' mall chase recreated with...
- abcnews: Truck carrying radioactive material stolen
- La Porte County burglary ring busted
29 min ago
- Missing woman's body found near Libertyville
15 min ago
- Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
25 min ago