Step by Step: Facebook Privacy
November 11, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A social media consultant showed us the intricacies of organizing your privacy settings on Facebook.
Tracy Samantha Schmidt, social media consultant for 435Digital.com, explained how to create privacy lists, block people and untag photos.
Q: What would you say is the biggest question that people have about security on privacy settings on facebook?
A: How do I not let my boss see my photos, or how do I not let my mom see it? Really, the best thing to do is create lists on Facebook because what a list does is, you separate different circles in your life. You separate your friends from your family from your work.
Etiquette: "Basically you never want to reject a friendship because the person is like, 'What did I do?' You want to friend everybody but be friends with them in different ways."
Create a List
Step 1: In the top right corner, click "Account," then click "Edit Friends."
Step 2: Toward the top of the page, click "Create a List"
Step 3: Enter a name for your list, then press the Enter key. Then select the friends you want to include. For example, if you're creating a list called "Work," select all your coworkers that you've friended on Facebook.
Q: Is there a setting that you can have where you allow your professional colleagues to see only certain pictures of you and not he every picture you post?
A: Yes, photos and galleries can be designated to only show/not show for certain lists of friends. But note that your profile picture is visible to everyone, plus everyone you are friends with can see your old profile pictures if you haven't deleted them.
Customizing Privacy Settings
Step 1: Click on "Account" in the top right corner, then click "Privacy settings"
Step 2: In the middle of the page toward the bottom, click "Customize Settings"
Step 3: Go through the list to set which parts of your profile you want to show up for which lists.
Note -- Any time you create a new photo gallery you can designate to which lists it appears.
How to Block/Unblock others
How to create friend lists
Info on profile pictures and third-party apps like Farmville
Tracy explains security settings in detail to Judy Hsu (tutorial for those new to Facebook)
resources, judy hsu
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat 29 min ago
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings 40 min ago
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- New York police investigating Amanda Bynes' assault allegations
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos