Disney Channel show stars actress with Chicago ties
November 24, 2010 (RELEASE) -- Caroline Sunshine will have plenty to talk about as she joins her family in Chicago around the Thanksgiving table. Her relatives will want to hear all about her new TV show. Caroline stars in "Shake It Up!," a comedy series set in Chicago that debuted earlier this month on the Disney Channel. It was one of Disney's most-watched new shows ever, attracting more than 6 million viewers across the country.
The 15 year old plays Tinka, an unusual, theatrical and particularly ambitious dancer from a fictional country. Her taste in attire is loud and catchy and celebrates her love of performing. Tinka and her twin brother Gunther are "frenemies" of the high-spirited best friends CeCe Jones and Rocky Blue, who land their dream jobs as background dancers on the popular teen dance show "Shake It Up, Chicago!" A new episode airs at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Caroline got her start in the business at the age of three, when she performed in a ballet recital and fell in love with the stage. In kindergarten, she played Goldie Locks in her classroom play, and only recently pursued acting professionally. Her first role was on the big screen this summer, playing Barbara Winslow in 20th Century Fox's "Marmaduke" starring Owen Wilson. Her other credits include the CBS pilot "Team Spitz" with Rob Riggle.
Caroline's stage credits include "Annie Warbucks" at the Orange County Children's Theatre, "Nutcracker" at the Academy of Dance and South Coast Performing Arts, and "Stage Door" at Lutheran High School in Orange County. Her commercial credits include "Amazing Allyson," "Yoplait Go-GURT," and "Cap'n Crunch."
Born September 5, in Atlanta, Georgia, Sunshine enjoys dancing, travelling, baking, and outdoor activities including snorkeling and rafting. Currently, Sunshine resides in Orange County, California with her dad Thom, her mother Karen, and her two younger brothers Johnny and Chris.
Here are some fast facts about Caroline's ties to the Chicago area:
- Caroline's Grandfather is from Chicago, and he grew up here, a graduate from Fenger High and is a HUGE Cub Fan!
- The family cousins live in Chicago, as well as in Lockport. Caroline's family spends Thanksgiving with them.
- These cousins have history here: the late Jay Eversole was the former Assistant Fire Chief in Chicago.
- In addition, Caroline's brothers, mom and dad are big fans of Notre Dame Football, and have come back to this area to attend several games. Her brothers are Aspiring Golden Domers!
- Her favorite Pizza is Giordano's in Chicago, and she Loves shopping on the Miracle Mile!
ABOUT "SHAKE IT UP!"
See at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday evenings on the Disney Channel
The buddy comedy series "Shake It Up," the first sitcom built around dance, introduces high spirited best friends CeCe Jones and Rocky Blue who land their dream job as background dancers on the most popular teen dance show "Shake It Up, Chicago!" Now, between learning the latest dance styles, navigating the backstage antics of their "frenemies," balancing responsibilities at home and their newfound social status at school, the girls encounter plenty of comedic bumps in the road.
"Shake It Up" was created by Chris Thompson ("Laverne and Shirley," "Bosom Buddies," "The Naked Truth," "Action") and is executive-produced by Thompson and Rob Lotterstein ("The War at Home," "Ellen").
Contrasting in personality, CeCe and Rocky are lifelong friends and would do anything for each other. CeCe's impulsive and adventurous nature and Rocky's measured approach and efforts to keep them on the right track, make their friendship that much stronger, as they complement each other like two dancers in a pas de deux. Their drive and determination propel each other to keep striving for more including a promotion to become one of the Wild Things, the lead dancers on "Shake It Up, Chicago!"
When they're not dancing, CeCe is usually taking care of her ingenious younger brother Flynn, while their mother works as a police officer; and Rocky is usually studying or finding charity work like raising money for a senior citizens center. The duo also embarks on fun adventures with their longtime and well connected friend, Deuce; hang out with Rocky's hip, sarcastic older brother Ty; and occasionally tangle with rivals Gunther and Tinka, who also happen to be background dancers on "Shake It Up, Chicago!"
"Shake It Up" stars Bella Thorne as CeCe Jones; Zendaya as Raquel 'Rocky' Blue; Adam Irigoyen ("Wizards Of Waverly Place") as Deuce Martinez; Davis Cleveland ("Good Luck Charlie," "Desperate Housewives") as Flynn Jones; Kenton Duty ("Lost") as Gunther; and Roshon Fegan ("Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam") as Ty Blue. Caroline Sunshine ("Marmaduke") plays Tinka and R. Brandon Johnson ("One Life To Live") plays Gary Wilde.
The series choreographer is Rosero McCoy ("Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam") and the assistant choreographer is Chlod.
"Shake It Up" is a production of It's a Laugh Productions, Inc. It carries a TV-G parental guideline.
"SHAKE IT UP!"
Sunday at 7:30 p.m.
On The Disney Channel
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- Police: KC highway shooting suspect in custody
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos