Decorating a college dorm room
Back to school also means many college students will also be making a new "home away from home" in their college dormitory. With a little know how, it is possible to transform a drab room into a fab room.
Interior designer Elaine Griffin, shares some great tips on how to bring style and color to your dorm room. Elaine shows how to incorporate cost efficient but yet stylish décor products from HomeGoods to help make the "dorm" experience a little more tolerable.
To find the nearest HomeGoods Store, visit homegoods.com.
- 1. Maximize the Space
- 3 drawer chest provides extra storage and can be a pretty bedside table too.
- An ottoman can be a great bedside table and doubles as extra seating for study groups. Some even offer extra storage too.
- Decorative storage boxes - these are fun way to add color and style to a bland space and they're great for storage and can be easily stacked
When you're living in a small space as many items as possible should do double duty. And it makes life easier when those items are portable and can be easily moved within the space and from place to place.
- 2. Make it Comfortable and Cozy
- Nothing says comfort like a cozy comforter and colorful plush blanket.
Keep in mind most dorm rooms have extra long beds so make sure your sheets and comforters are long enough
- Decorative Pillows are the fastest easiest way to add a pop of color and style to any bed. During the day you can layer these pillows to transform your bed in to a day bed for extra seating or use them as floor cushions
- Accent Lamps - Dorms typically only have one overhead florescent light. Warm up the space with an accent lamp on your desk and by your beside.
The bed is focal point of a dorm room. So you want it to look good but also be super comfortable and cozy in a color pallet and/or design that reflects your style.
- 3. Personalize the Space
- Painting is not an option in a dorm room and hanging art is a no-no, so try wall decals to give a room a pop of color and design. They're so much fun because you can scatter them around and make your own pattern and they're totally removable and won't leave any marks on dorm room or apartment walls.
- Decorative Mirrors - Both enhance the space and add a fun, functional design element and they help make a small space look even bigger. Try leaning one on your dresser and decorative the table top with small decorative objects
- Look for decorative accessories like a tray or books (something fun that says something about you).
Finally your dorm is all about you! So make sure your dorm reflects your personality. Use decorative accents and color to make a personal statement. Here are few of my favorites:
About Elaine Griffin:
Elaine is a graduate of Yale University and studied at the New York School of Interior Design. She began her design career in the office of architecture and design legend Peter Marino. Elaine is a contributing editor to Better Homes & Gardens, designed the Good Works Makeovers for Oprah's O at Home, worked as a contributing/special projects editor for Elle Decor and is ranked and is ranked as one of House Beautiful 's top 100 American Designers.
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire 9 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett 54 min ago
- Man who killed Kankakee doctor gets life in prison
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Carl Sandburg H.S. 'soft lockdown' lifted after arrests 44 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 23 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing 54 min ago
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Truman College instructor accused of sexually assaulting former... 17 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
19 min ago
- Chicago street repaving begins
45 min ago
- Microbead ban? Group says they impact...
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos