ABC7 On Your Sideline: The Matadors
January 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- When you go to a Bulls game, the only thing bigger than the game itself would be the Chicago Matadors -- literally.
They aren't as daring as Benny the Bull. They aren't as graceful as the Luvabulls. But, they are definitely breathtaking in their own sort of way.
"I'm just a big guy, so I just want to show everybody my sexiness," said Matador Corie Paige. "It's been nine years and it's been a great nine years and we definitely enjoyed doing it for the fans of Chicago and everybody around the world>"
Kevin Blanchard said being a Matador suits his personality.
"I've always enjoyed people laughing at me," Blanchard said. "I've always been known as the life of the party, Mr. center of attention. This is nothing different. I love entertaining the fans.
"Doing this put's the biggest smile on my face and hearing them just stand up and scream and cheer and everything, keeps me pumped, keeps me energized just keeps me going."
Blanchard jokes the group even has stalkers and groupies.
Since their debut in 2003, the Chicago Matadors have entertained fans with their dance routines and their sense of humor. So what, you may ask, does it take to be a Matador?
It takes guts, literally and figuratively," said director Cathy Core. "It takes a good personality. It takes someone that doesn't take themselves so seriously that if someone has a giggle or points, stares or something, it just rolls off their back. But, they know why they're there. They know they have a job and they're there to entertain and that's what it's all about. It's all about the team and not about the individual guy."
Choreographer Lisa Dajani said a good Matador is fearless, fun and willing to take risks, dance wise.
But Blanchard said it takes a little more.
"Visit your local Taco Bell, McDonalds, Burger King, Sbarro, Pizza Hut, Bennigans & Shall I keep going? " Blanchard said. "Or as I like to call it, stay on the wrong side of 280 pounds."
7 on your sideline, resources, rafer weigel
- Suspects break into Trump, parachute off building 40 min ago
- Boy, 13, seriously injured in Aurora hit-and-run 13 min ago
- A Game 7 with more on the line than an NBA title 36 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 in OT, tie series
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school closes for good
- 9 students hospitalized after pepper spray accident
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Boy, 13, seriously injured in Aurora...
13 min ago