State Ballet Theatre of Russia presents 'Romeo and Juliet'
January 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The critically acclaimed State Ballet Theatre of Russia returns to the Auditorium Theatre (50 E. Congress Parkway, Chicago) to perform a brand new production of "Romeo and Juliet," the world's greatest romantic tragedy.
Arguably the most famous love story of all time, Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" tells the tale of a boy and a girl from warring families who meet and fall in love. Fate is not on their side, however. Due to a series of fateful misunderstandings, the story of the two young lovers who try to elope ends in tragedy. The State Ballet Theatre of Russia's production of "Romeo and Juliet" is set to Sergei Prokofiev's romantic and powerful score with new choreography by Mikhail Lavrovsky, a former principal dancer of the Bolshoi Ballet and now a leading Russian choreographer for the Bolshoi and other companies.
State Ballet Theatre of Russia presents "Romeo and Juliet"
Sat, Jan. 28 at 8 p.m.
Sun, Jan. 29 at 2 p.m.
Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University
50 E. Congress Pkwy.
Tickets are available at ticketmaster.com or by calling (800) 982-2787
About The State Ballet Theatre of Russia (RELEASE)
Since its founding in 1961, the State Ballet Theatre of Russia (formally known as the Voronezh State Theatre of Opera and Ballet, which has origins in the 16th century) has showcased the unparalleled art of Russian ballet to countries throughout the world, performing works by both classical and modern Russian choreographers. Its performances are relatively new to U.S. audiences, as the company first graced American stages in 2006. The Director of the Company is Igor Nepomnyashchy, and the Artistic Director of the Ballet is Lyudmila Sycheva.
The State Ballet Theatre of Russia is a company of 65 distinguished dancers and its repertoire includes "Swan Lake," "The Sleeping Beauty," "Cinderella," "The Nutcracker," "Giselle," "Don Quixote," "Le Sylphide," "Scheherazade," "Gavalry Halt," "The Stone Flower," "1001 Nights," "Carmen"-suite, "Cipollino," "Doctor Aubolit," "Francesca di Rimini" and "The Fountain of Bakhchisarai."
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD