20th Anniversary of Filming 'Groundhog Day'
January 29, 2012 -- In the movie ''Groundhog Day,'' Bill Murray plays a TV weathercaster who relives the same day over and over again.
That movie came out in 1993, but it was filmed in Woodstock, Ill., 20 years ago, in 1992! To celebrate, Woodstock is planning several days of festivities, including a chili cook-off. Rick Bellairs with the Groundhog Day Committee, www.WoodstockGroundhog.org, Ivy Sagrado, previous winner of the chili cook-off, and Woodstock Willie (Pam Moorhouse), the mascot, joined us in our ABC7 studio to talk about the events.
Woodstock's Groundhog Day Festivities:
Tuesday, January 31
7-9 p.m.: Unveiling of Groundhog Day movie memorabilia at the Library
Wednesday, February 1
6 p.m.: Awakening of the Groundhog in front of the Opera House
6:30 - 8:30 p.m.: Groundhog Day movie trivia at Pirro's
Thursday, February 2
7 a.m.: Prognostication on the Square
5 p.m.: Free showing of the movie
Friday, February 3
6 p.m. - 12 a.m.: Dinner Dance at the Woodstock Moose Lodge- which is where they filmed the dance scenes and bachelor auction.
Saturday, February 4
10 a.m.: Storytelling at Home State Bank
12 p.m.: Chili Cook-Off at the Woodstock Opera House
1:30 p.m.: Walking tour of film sites around town
3:30 p.m.: Groundhog Day symposium talking about the movie
D200 Education Foundation Dinner benefit at the Woodstock Moose Lodge
Ivy's Chili Recipe
1 lb. Ground Beef
1 lb. Ground Veal
2 tbsps Canola Oil
1 White Onion
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
2 cans Kidney Beans
1 can Black Beans
1 can White Beans
1 can (32oz) Whole Tomatoes
2 cups Water
3 tbsps Chili Powder
2 tbsps Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper (More if you dare!)
Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
Salt to Taste
1 bunch Cilantro
Brown the meats, then strain to discard the extra grease.
Pre-heat the canola oil, then sautee the onions.
Add the peppers; sautee for about 4 minutes.
Add the beans.
Crush the tomatoes with yours hands; add to the pot.
Add all water, spices and the cooked meat.
Let it simmer for about 45 minutes until reduced to the right consistency.
Serve with fresh cilantro.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood 51 min ago
- How much money will be saved by school closures?
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- Lombard man charged with threatening Glenbard East H.S.
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos