Natural Health Resolutions
January 30, 2012 -- With the New Year, many people made health-focused resolutions in hopes of improving their physical and mental well-being in 2012. In order to put your healthiest foot forward, Dr. Theri Griego Raby, MD, ABHM founder of the Raby Institute for Integrative Medicine at Northwestern has five tips to living a healthier lifestyle:
- 1000mg of Krill Oil - Cod liver and fish oil are both known for their health benefits but its krill oil that has them beat. Rich in Omega 3, krill oil will reduce risk of heart attack and other heart-related illness, raise good cholesterol, lower bad cholesterol and even increase energy on a daily basis.
- Take Vitamin B12 -- Adding vitamin B12 into your daily routine can help regulate the nervous system (reducing depression and stress), protect against heart disease and cancer, and promote healthy skin, hair and nails. Though it is naturally found in animal products like meat, shellfish, milk, cheese and eggs, vegans and vegetarians can also take B12 in supplement form.
- Increase Your Vitamin D Intake- Naturally produced by sunlight (which is scarce in winter due to longer nights and increased cloud cover), Vitamin D is beneficial for improving moods and contributing to weight loss to name a few. A Vitamin D supplement during the winter months, such as Nature Made, can combat the sluggish symptoms often associated with seasonal affective disorder.
- Avoid Inflammatory Foods -- Though the thought of giving up coffee with cream is scary for some, things like dairy, wheat, refined sugar and caffeine are inflammatory foods that can wreak havoc on the body. Cutting out these culprits can help decrease the chances of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, asthma, allergies, weight gain, and much more.
- Visit an Integrative Medical Center - To make a positive impact on your health this year, make an appointment with a practitioner at an integrative medical center. Traditional Western medicine tends to focus on treating symptoms, whereas an integrative medical approach is more comprehensive, considering not only the presenting problem but also exploring non-traditional courses that treat the whole person. Discuss your past health history and ailments as well as your goals and together you and your practitioner can develop an individualized plan and discover how to become your healthiest, happiest self in 2012.
About The Raby Institute for Integrative Medicine at Northwestern (release)
Founded in 2008, the Raby Institute for Integrative Medicine at Northwestern is one of the country's premier centers for integrative healing, disease treatment/prevention and optimal wellness. Combining the best of science-based Western medicine with natural therapeutic approaches from a variety of ancient cultures, the institute offers an unparalleled experience for patients of all ages. Lead by Dr. Theri Griego Raby, the institute offers primary and consultative care by highly trained specialists in Internal Medicine, Integrative Pediatrics and Integrative Gynecology, as well as direct or collaborative care by certified practitioners in the disciplines of Naturopathic Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Medical Acupuncture, Homeopathy, Neuromuscular Massage Therapy, Integrative Psychology, Anti-aging and Functional Medicine. The Raby Institute for Integrative Medicine is located at 500 N. Michigan Ave. in Chicago, IL. For more information, please visit Rabyintegrativemedicine.com or call (312) 276.1212.
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Maywood honors man who found missing toddler's body
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Kellie Pickler wins 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Addison comfort dogs headed to Moore, Okla.
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos