Are you ready for Facebook Timeline?
January 31, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Facebook will start requiring people to switch to a new profile format known as Timeline, making photos, links and posts from the past much easier to find. Are you ready for the switch?
Joining us Tuesday morning was Social Media Educator Tracy Schmidt.
- TALKING POINTS:
- Facebook announced all 800 million users will be forced to upgrade to the new Facebook Timeline design in the weeks ahead.
- The most controversial feature of Timeline is the ability to instantly see a user's profile all the way back to the day he or she joined Facebook. This is problematic for users who are now in their mid to late 20s and joined Facebook as college students in 2005 when the network first launched. Many of these students still have questionable photos and comments on their profiles. Until now, it would have taken hours for someone like, say, your boss to find that content. Now it can be easily surfaced in seconds if your boss is your friend on Facebook.
- To give users time to clean up their profiles, Facebook is giving all users a 7-day grace period to remove or hide any content they don't want easily surface able.
- To be sure, the Timeline design does have great features including the ability to download free applications that let you do everything from listen to your favorite music for free, read news stories your friend's are reading and track your morning run using the gps on your phone--perfect for getting your friends to cheer you on in real time.
- Timeline also lets you customize your cover design, so you can upload your favorite picts or even create an ad directing friends to your website.
- FACEBOOK CHANGES TO CONSIDER:
- You can change privacy settings on individual items to control who has access. (narrow embarrassing photos to your closest friends or delete posts completely)
- You can change the date on a post.
- For major events in your life, you can click on a star to feature them more prominently. You can hide the posts you'd rather not showcase.
- You can add a cover photo. Aside from your profile picture, the cover photo is the the large image spreads across the top of your page.
- You can add things before you joined Facebook, back to when you were born.
- Start weeding through older posts.
- Click on Activity Log to see all of your posts at a glance and make changes to them one by one.
Tracy Schmidt Classes: To register for our classes on social media at Tribune Tower, please visit chicagotribune.com/classes.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie apartment residents 8 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum 18 min ago
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie...
8 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
2 min ago