National Wellness Week | Mariel Hemingway in Chicago
March 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Academy nominated actress Mariel Hemingway is on a nationwide mission to inspire Americans to take charge of their health.
From March 19 through March 25, over 500 spas, gyms, yoga studios and wellness businesses will be offering services for half-price and hosting free wellness events and workshops. Coming from a family with a history of mental health issues, including the suicides of her grandfather Ernest Hemingway and sister Margaux Hemingway, Mariel struggled with eating disorders and tried countless diets and exercise fads in her quest to stay healthy. Now, she is sharing her personal journey to wellness and showing people how they, too, can take charge of their health during National Wellness Week.
The Wellness Week Pledge
I pledge to take charge of my health by taking these simple yet vital steps toward a happier and healthier life. By committing to achieve at least one of these activities each day of Wellness Week, I will make taking care of myself a priority, enabling me to do more, stay healthy, and live a longer, more vibrant and meaningful life. I pledge to:
Change my breakfast. I will kick off my day with a healthy meal that includes foods like oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, seeds, nuts, and whole grain cereals and toast.
Choose to move. I will walk more by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further from the store or taking a desk break to go for a five-minute stroll.
Hydrate. I will drink a glass of water before breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Make my sleep a priority. I will build boundaries around my sleep by sticking to a set bedtime, and by not eating or working in bed.
Embrace the power of touch. I will recharge myself and others through the simple act of giving or receiving a hug, foot rub or five-minute massage.
Give myself the gift of silence. I will find 10 minutes a day away from screens of any type - phone, TV or computer and enjoy the quiet.
Connect with nature. I will walk outside, breath more deeply and enjoy the outdoors for a few minutes each day.
Read about the pledge: http://www.spafinder.com/newsletter/wellnessweek/2012images/WW_Pledge_Report_Spreads.pdf
Mariel's favorite breakfast recipes: http://clubspa.spafinder.com/mariels-kitchen-favorite-breakfast-recipes/
More on Wellness Week events: http://www.spafinder.com/wellnessweek
Connect with Mariel Hemingway: thewillingway.com
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boston Marathon bombing comment no threat to St. Patrick's Day...
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam 39 min ago
- More goats found dead in Ill. animal cruelty case 31 min ago
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Lawmakers say DCFS faces 'horrendous' challenges
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD