National Wellness Week | Mariel Hemingway in Chicago
March 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Academy nominated actress Mariel Hemingway is on a nationwide mission to inspire Americans to take charge of their health.
From March 19 through March 25, over 500 spas, gyms, yoga studios and wellness businesses will be offering services for half-price and hosting free wellness events and workshops. Coming from a family with a history of mental health issues, including the suicides of her grandfather Ernest Hemingway and sister Margaux Hemingway, Mariel struggled with eating disorders and tried countless diets and exercise fads in her quest to stay healthy. Now, she is sharing her personal journey to wellness and showing people how they, too, can take charge of their health during National Wellness Week.
The Wellness Week Pledge
I pledge to take charge of my health by taking these simple yet vital steps toward a happier and healthier life. By committing to achieve at least one of these activities each day of Wellness Week, I will make taking care of myself a priority, enabling me to do more, stay healthy, and live a longer, more vibrant and meaningful life. I pledge to:
Change my breakfast. I will kick off my day with a healthy meal that includes foods like oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, seeds, nuts, and whole grain cereals and toast.
Choose to move. I will walk more by taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further from the store or taking a desk break to go for a five-minute stroll.
Hydrate. I will drink a glass of water before breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Make my sleep a priority. I will build boundaries around my sleep by sticking to a set bedtime, and by not eating or working in bed.
Embrace the power of touch. I will recharge myself and others through the simple act of giving or receiving a hug, foot rub or five-minute massage.
Give myself the gift of silence. I will find 10 minutes a day away from screens of any type - phone, TV or computer and enjoy the quiet.
Connect with nature. I will walk outside, breath more deeply and enjoy the outdoors for a few minutes each day.
Read about the pledge: http://www.spafinder.com/newsletter/wellnessweek/2012images/WW_Pledge_Report_Spreads.pdf
Mariel's favorite breakfast recipes: http://clubspa.spafinder.com/mariels-kitchen-favorite-breakfast-recipes/
More on Wellness Week events: http://www.spafinder.com/wellnessweek
Connect with Mariel Hemingway: thewillingway.com
- 5 injured after truck crashes into grocery store 40 min ago
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd 1 min ago
- City: Kup statue not stolen, out for repairs 44 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Western closed St. Paul to Mofftt over weekend 4 min ago
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession 32 min ago
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake 2 min ago