7 In Your Neighborhood: Beverly Arts Center
March 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It's always busy at the Beverly Arts Center where people can either burn some calories with a good workout or nurture their creative side in an art class.
"I always say the fun never stops at the Beverly Arts Center," said Kristine O'Reilly of the arts center.
The multi-discipline center has been around for 41 years and offers classes in music, dance, visual arts and theater.
More than 1,400 students of all ages are enrolled in more than 135 classes.
"A lot of schools unfortunately are cutting their programs so I think the Beverly Arts Center is a valuable asset to the community," O'Reilly said.
Over the years, the center has become a destination not just for the Beverly community, but for the region.
"Not only is it Beverly and the surrounding suburbs of Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn and Alsip and Merrionette Park and Blue Island, but it's also getting close to downtown," said Mike Nix of the arts center.
The arts center also features gallery space for rotating exhibitions of art by both professional and emerging artists.
Also, the 400-seat theater is a unique space for aspiring actors to study the performing arts. Plays are produced all year long.
It's also a small concert venue for professional musicians, many of whom have graced the stage.
"We have this amazing theater," said the arts center's Shelee Frazee. "The stage, I would put it comparable to a downtown theater and yet it's very intimate."
abc7 in your neighborhood, resources, karen jordan
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 53 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school 34 min ago
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Michael Jordan shoes from Finals sell for $104K
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party 26 min ago
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun...
34 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
53 min ago
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
29 min ago