To Buy or Not To Buy A Home?
June 16, 2012 -- Average rates on fixed mortgages just rose from 3.67 percent to 3.71 percent for 30-year loans.
The average rate on the 15-year mortgage rose from 2.94 percent to 2.98 percent. This was the first increase in seven weeks, but those mortgage rates are still near historic lows.
So with the low rates, low housing prices and a lot of homes on the market, should you buy? Joan Jensen, president and CEO of the Central Credit Union of Illinois (link: ) joined us in our ABC7 studio to share her tips to create your personal home buying game plan.
Joan's 3 Steps To Creating A Home Buying Game Plan
1. Financial Self Assessment
a. Invest in your future. Pick up a free copy of your credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com, and spend $20 to retrieve your FICO score from www.myfico.com.
b. Assess your current income and expenses to determine if you can cover anticipated and unexpected expenses.
Don't forget healthcare expenses, insurance expenses, car repairs, and home maintenance.
Visit http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/mortgage-calculator.aspx to calculate monthly mortgage payments.
2. Assemble Your Team: Mortgage Professional, Real Estate Agent, Home Inspector
a. Comparison shop locally-based mortgage lending professionals. Make an appointment to discuss the process for getting a mortgage and the expected interest rates and closing costs.
b. Find a good local real estate agent. Visit http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/7-tips-for-picking-a-real-estate-agent-1.aspx for tips on selecting a real estate agent.
c. Line up a home inspector.
3. Understand the Property
a. Use the knowledge of your real estate professional to learn about the current trends in a specific neighborhood.
Ask your agent about the history of substandard construction or flooding.
Find out about planned new development and reassessments.
b. If you are considering a foreclosure or short sale, find out where the seller is in the process, the parties involved with the negotiation, and the expected timeline. For tips on buying a foreclosed property visit http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/5-tips-for-buying-a-foreclosed-home-1.aspx.
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports 41 min ago
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game weather
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 49 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary 17 min ago
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up 43 min ago
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela 43 min ago
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
49 min ago
- 7 in :77
52 min ago
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports
41 min ago