Natural remedies to fight summer allergies, colds
June 19, 2012 -- Dr. Melody Hart, who joined us in-studio, has a doctorate of Naturopathy from Midwest University. She is board certified with the American Naturopathic Medical Association and National Naturopathic Council.
Knowing the difference between cold, flu and allergies:
-Cold symptoms include runny/ stuffy noses, headaches, postnasal drip and coughs
-Flu symptoms include the same symptoms as colds, but are accompanied by fever, body aches and lethargy
-Allergy symptoms include itchy, runny and stuffy noses, itchy eyes and sneezing.
Unlike the common cold, allergy symptoms tend to be cyclical, worsening with exposure to the offending allergen and then fading away
Tips/ Treatment options:
-EyeWear: To avoid itchy eyes, wear sunglasses or eyewear to prevent pollen from getting into eyes.
-Nasal Ointments: More than half of allergy sufferers say allergies and nasal congestion wake them up at night and also make it hard to fall asleep. Use a naturally-based nasal ointment to help improve your nasal health.
-Homeopathic Remedies: To help with your cold symptoms, try a homeopathic remedy that contains only natural ingredients and minerals.
-Cold-EEZE (Studies have shown the zinc content reduces cold time by nearly half)
-Vitamin C tablets (colds) / Lemons (antiviral)
-Celtic sea salt (Gargle to get the mucus out of the back of the throat)
-Maty's Breathe Better Nasal Ointment (allergy sleep relief)
-Local Honey (taking in pollen from your area to treat allergies & coat a scratchy throat)
-Butterbur (helps a phase of liver detoxification)
-Apple cider vinegar
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos