Natural remedies to fight summer allergies, colds
June 19, 2012 -- Dr. Melody Hart, who joined us in-studio, has a doctorate of Naturopathy from Midwest University. She is board certified with the American Naturopathic Medical Association and National Naturopathic Council.
Knowing the difference between cold, flu and allergies:
-Cold symptoms include runny/ stuffy noses, headaches, postnasal drip and coughs
-Flu symptoms include the same symptoms as colds, but are accompanied by fever, body aches and lethargy
-Allergy symptoms include itchy, runny and stuffy noses, itchy eyes and sneezing.
Unlike the common cold, allergy symptoms tend to be cyclical, worsening with exposure to the offending allergen and then fading away
Tips/ Treatment options:
-EyeWear: To avoid itchy eyes, wear sunglasses or eyewear to prevent pollen from getting into eyes.
-Nasal Ointments: More than half of allergy sufferers say allergies and nasal congestion wake them up at night and also make it hard to fall asleep. Use a naturally-based nasal ointment to help improve your nasal health.
-Homeopathic Remedies: To help with your cold symptoms, try a homeopathic remedy that contains only natural ingredients and minerals.
-Cold-EEZE (Studies have shown the zinc content reduces cold time by nearly half)
-Vitamin C tablets (colds) / Lemons (antiviral)
-Celtic sea salt (Gargle to get the mucus out of the back of the throat)
-Maty's Breathe Better Nasal Ointment (allergy sleep relief)
-Local Honey (taking in pollen from your area to treat allergies & coat a scratchy throat)
-Butterbur (helps a phase of liver detoxification)
-Apple cider vinegar
- 4 of 54 schools to be saved in CPS closings vote 57 min ago
- Tsarnaev friend killed in Orlando by FBI 13 min ago
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards Programs
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- Boy, 16, killed in Back of the Yards shooting
- Officials: Summer construction to create about 6,500 jobs 35 min ago
- Free movies at Millennium Park this summer 49 min ago
- Chief Keef arrested at Georgia hotel 4 min ago
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit 55 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois schools lack tornado 'safe rooms'
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- abcnews: See Jennifer Lawrence's 'X-Men' Look
- 7 in :77
- 4 of 54 schools to be saved in CPS closings...
57 min ago