How To Make Salmon Burgers
July 15, 2012 (WLS) -- Summer invites us to fire up the grill. But with summer well under way, you might find yourself looking for alternatives to beef burgers.
So how about a salmon burger? Tony Stallone with Peapod (http://www.peapod.com/) came into our ABC7 studio to show us how make one.
1. Always use fresh salmon, it will form better burgers that will taste much better. I love the sockeye at this time of the year for that bright red color!
2. It is best to make the burgers one day ahead of time and refrigerate. This will allow them to set up and become firmer, making them easier to grill.
3. If you are not able to make them ahead of time, put the burgers in the freezer for 5 minutes before grilling. This will accomplish the same thing.
4. Make your patties thicker, the salmon will stay moister.
5. Once formed, place the burgers on parchment paper - this will prevent them from sticking and make them easier to handle.
6. Make sure your grill is clean and oiled; run a rag soaked with oil on top of the grate, then immediately place your burgers on the grill. You can also oil or spray your spatula with non-stick to make it easy to slide under the burger when flipping and taking off the grill.
7. Do not overcook! Salmon burgers cook quickly, 2 to 3 minutes per side will do it.
8. Feel free to experiment with different ingredients, instead of peppers substitute mushrooms or even asparagus!
Tony's Salmon Burgers
1 1/2 lbs Skinless, boneless salmon
Dice salmon into 3/8" cubes.
Place 3/4 of diced salmon in mixing bowl and then put remaining diced salmon in food processor bowl.
Add next 7 ingredients to the salmon that is in the food processor, and puree until mixture becomes pasty, scraping down sides once.
Next 7 Ingredients:
2 tsps Dijon mustard
2 shallots, peeled & coarsely diced
1/2 cup panko
1/3 cup mayonnaise low fat
2 Tbsps lemon juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup red peppers, finely diced
1/4 cup yellow peppers, finely diced
Add pureed salmon mixture to diced salmon, and stir in parsley and peppers.
Form into 8 burgers, and place on cookie sheet.
Wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight or place in freezer for 5 minutes before grilling.
Heat grill to med high, run a oiled rag over grates just before putting burgers on the grill.
Grill 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Salmon Mayo Spread
3 Tbsps low fat or canola mayonnaise
1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
1 Tbsp Ketchup
1 tsp Soy sauce
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
Method: Combine all ingredients in bowl or food processor and blend thoroughly.
Spread on toasted bun or serve on the side of salmon burgers.
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout