Girl Scouts celebrate 100th anniversary
September 6, 2012 -- Maria Wynne, CEO of Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana, visits ABC7 to talk about the celebrations for a landmark anniversary.
The Cookie Classic will be held in Butler Field at Grant Park at Columbus and Monroe (by the Petrillo Music Shell). Parking around and near Grant Park is abundant. Public transportation is convenient and highly recommended.
9 a.m. Race begins
9:15 a.m. Walk begins
9 - 5 p.m. Celebration event
To register: www.gscookieclassic.org
Background: Founded in 1912, Girl Scouts of the USA is the preeminent leadership development organization for girls with 3.4 million girl and adult members worldwide. Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana impacts the lives of nearly 87,000 girls and 24,000 adult members in 245 communities in six Illinois counties (Cook, DuPage, Grundy, Kankakee, Lake, and Will) and four Indiana counties (Jasper, Lake, Newton, and Porter). For more information, visit www.girlscoutsgcnwi.org
American Idol's Haley Reinhart, Buckinghams and Savvy Celebrate Girl Scouts' 100th Birthday Bash
Girl Scouts invites the public to Cookie Classic 5K and day-long festivities
What: To celebrate its 100th anniversary, Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana will host its inaugural Girl Scout Cookie Classic 5K Run, Walk & Celebration in Grant Park on Saturday, Sept. 8. Everyone is welcome to attend the biggest birthday bash for the largest council in the country, featuring American Idol's Haley Reinhart, The Buckinghams and pop group Savvy.
Participants can choose to run or walk the 5K USATF certified course. After the race, the celebration continues with festivities, entertainment and interactive activities for the whole family throughout the day. Registration for the race or walk includes admission to all activities, plus live entertainment. Activities will include science and cooking demonstrations, sing-alongs, dancing, fitness activities and many more family-friendly activities for all ages. For information, visit www.gscookieclassic.org.
Who: Thousands of Chicagoans supporting the Girl Scouts; pop group Savvy, whose members are stars on the hit TV show "The Wannabes" and who are known for their high-energy concerts with positive, empowering messages, will perform and hold a meet-and-greet following their show. American Idol's Haley Reinhart (ranked third in the tenth season), The Buckinghams, singer/songwriter Melinda Caroll and The Dreammakers will also be performing throughout the day.
When: Saturday, September 8, 2012, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Butler Field at Grant Park at Columbus and Monroe (by the Petrillo Music Shell)
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field 6 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport 50 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier...
6 min ago