'Run for Kelli' raises money for education, camp scholarships
October 10, 2012 -- The Kelli Joy O'Laughlin Memorial Fund will hold a ''Run for Kelli'' on Sunday, Nov. 11, at Lyons Township High School South Campus (4900 Willow Springs Road in Western Springs).
Four different race times are offered: 7:30 a.m., 8:15 a.m., 9:00 a.m., or 9:45 a.m. A one-mile walk will be held concurrently with the final race, with a 50-yard dash for ages 10 and under.
Registration fees are $25 for the run and $15 for the walk, and participants can pre-register at http://tinyurl.com/RunforKelli. All proceeds will go to the Kelli Joy O'Laughlin Memorial Fund.
The event is being held in memory of Kelli Joy O'Laughlin, whose life was abruptly taken by a burglar in her home in October of 2011. Kelli's family and friends encourage the community to come together to remember her, celebrate her life and raise money for her Memorial Fund. The mission of the fund is to give young people opportunities to develop their greatest potential of friendship, kindness, leadership skills and confidence, as well as their education through college scholarships and other charitable activities.
"As we mark one year since Kelli's passing, we have been inspired by her everlasting spirit," said Kelli's mother, Brenda O'Laughlin "We strive to keep her zest for life alive in our own pursuits to make our communities a better place, one neighbor and one block at a time."
The race is being held on the school's three-mile cross-country course, which has been described by race organizers as "a unique and somewhat challenging course." Each of the four separate races is limited to 250 participants.
Electronic timing services will be provided by Real Timing Inc. In addition to the race, walk and dash, there will be live entertainment, prizes, event T-shirts and stuffed bears for all participants.
Participants are asked to pick up a runner's bag at The Runner's Soul, 5 South La Grange Road, La Grange, Friday and Saturday, Nov. 9-10, from 10 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (708-354-7685). Those who cannot do so can pick up their bags on the morning of the race at 7 a.m. at the registration table.
Please visit http://tinyurl.com/RunforKelli for more information or to register for the
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney