Holiday Travel Tips
October 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With Thanksgiving just around the corner, you might already be thinking about travel plans right now. But with high gas prices, you might also be looking for ways to save.
Mark Murphy (www.markmurphytravels.com), Travel Expert and Author of "Travel Unscripted," stopped by our ABC7 studio to share tips on how to make your holiday travel as affordable and pleasant as possible.
1. Traveling by car
Arm yourself with the free community-based GPS traffic app, Waze (www.waze.com). It has a turn-by-turn navigation resource from fellow drivers that automatically re-routes you when road conditions change. You can go to the app store on your iPhone, iPad or the Android Marketplace and download WAZE for free. Also, make sure to join our "ABC7 Traffic Trackers"group, and look for our WAZE reports weekday mornings on ABC7.
2. Traveling by bus
- Bolt Bus
Rent a larger car for everyone to travel in (example: Zipcar)
Also: Pre-pay for gas at the time of rental
4. Get cheaper gas
The Tank app (gastankapp.com) tells you current gas station prices and where you can score the best deal.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River 27 min ago
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible