Holiday Travel Tips
October 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With Thanksgiving just around the corner, you might already be thinking about travel plans right now. But with high gas prices, you might also be looking for ways to save.
Mark Murphy (www.markmurphytravels.com), Travel Expert and Author of "Travel Unscripted," stopped by our ABC7 studio to share tips on how to make your holiday travel as affordable and pleasant as possible.
1. Traveling by car
Arm yourself with the free community-based GPS traffic app, Waze (www.waze.com). It has a turn-by-turn navigation resource from fellow drivers that automatically re-routes you when road conditions change. You can go to the app store on your iPhone, iPad or the Android Marketplace and download WAZE for free. Also, make sure to join our "ABC7 Traffic Trackers"group, and look for our WAZE reports weekday mornings on ABC7.
2. Traveling by bus
- Bolt Bus
Rent a larger car for everyone to travel in (example: Zipcar)
Also: Pre-pay for gas at the time of rental
4. Get cheaper gas
The Tank app (gastankapp.com) tells you current gas station prices and where you can score the best deal.
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 4 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 31 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house 42 min ago
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago 25 min ago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake