ABC7 Chicago Salutes: Carmen Velásquez
October 27, 2012 (WLS) -- "ABC 7 Chicago Salutes" is a chance to recognize those people who are making a difference. On Saturday, October 27th, we salute Carmen Velásquez, the founder and exeutive director of Alivio Medical Center.
Community members want to recognize her for her tireless commitment to the working poor, Latino community, especially those who are undocumented immigrants.
Velásquez founded the Alivio Medical Center in 1989. Today, Alivio operates two sites in Pilsen and one in Cicero. In February, Alivio will also open another health center in Berwyn. Additionally, Alivio has three school-based community health centers.
In all, Alivio serves more than 100,000 patient visits a year. Because of that accomplishment, Velásquez has received numerous national and local awards.
If you know someone who is making a difference, please send us their photo and information to firstname.lastname@example.org Be sure to post it under "ABC 7 Chicago Salutes."
resources, stacey baca
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour 19 min ago
- Winter weather advisories issued as snow follows cold
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault 13 min ago
- Prisoner charged in 1988 Rogers Park rape, murder 50 min ago
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more 44 min ago
- Chicago man gets 50 years in ex-wife's death 38 min ago
- Kanye West likens job to police work; Ohio chief disagrees
- Affluenza defense nets Ethan Couch probation
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- 7 in :77