Cyber Monday Security Tips for Safe Online Shopping
November 26, 2012 -- Cyber theft is a big risk during the holidays. Jerry Irvine, CIO of Chicago-based Prescient Solutions, talks about tips for safe online shopping.
Irvine is also a member of the National Cyber Security Task Force.
-Do not connect to free Wi-Fi spot. Every day, but especially during the holidays, cyber thieves will be trolling free Wi-Fi spots for opportunities to attack.
-Do not store data online such as credit card information and addresses-checkout as a guest.
-Use third party applications like PayPal as that are secure.
-Only use one credit card for online shopping, so if a breach occurs, you only have one card to cancel.
-Use name-brand websites, even if deals are better on unknown retailer website-they could be scams.
-Be wary of emails/text messages asking for your information-even if they appear to be from a trusted source, any messages asking for your personal info are likely phishing or smishing scams.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side 13 min ago
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson 28 min ago
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting 16 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 To Go, December 12, 2013
53 min ago