Cyber Monday Security Tips for Safe Online Shopping
November 26, 2012 -- Cyber theft is a big risk during the holidays. Jerry Irvine, CIO of Chicago-based Prescient Solutions, talks about tips for safe online shopping.
Irvine is also a member of the National Cyber Security Task Force.
-Do not connect to free Wi-Fi spot. Every day, but especially during the holidays, cyber thieves will be trolling free Wi-Fi spots for opportunities to attack.
-Do not store data online such as credit card information and addresses-checkout as a guest.
-Use third party applications like PayPal as that are secure.
-Only use one credit card for online shopping, so if a breach occurs, you only have one card to cancel.
-Use name-brand websites, even if deals are better on unknown retailer website-they could be scams.
-Be wary of emails/text messages asking for your information-even if they appear to be from a trusted source, any messages asking for your personal info are likely phishing or smishing scams.
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 6 min ago
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot 19 min ago
- Woman killed, 4 critically injured in Far South Side crash
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- CTA Red Line reconstruction officially...
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos