Cyber Monday Security Tips for Safe Online Shopping
November 26, 2012 -- Cyber theft is a big risk during the holidays. Jerry Irvine, CIO of Chicago-based Prescient Solutions, talks about tips for safe online shopping.
Irvine is also a member of the National Cyber Security Task Force.
-Do not connect to free Wi-Fi spot. Every day, but especially during the holidays, cyber thieves will be trolling free Wi-Fi spots for opportunities to attack.
-Do not store data online such as credit card information and addresses-checkout as a guest.
-Use third party applications like PayPal as that are secure.
-Only use one credit card for online shopping, so if a breach occurs, you only have one card to cancel.
-Use name-brand websites, even if deals are better on unknown retailer website-they could be scams.
-Be wary of emails/text messages asking for your information-even if they appear to be from a trusted source, any messages asking for your personal info are likely phishing or smishing scams.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Chicago FOP president suspended 28 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip 23 min ago
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor