Cyber Monday Security Tips for Safe Online Shopping
November 26, 2012 -- Cyber theft is a big risk during the holidays. Jerry Irvine, CIO of Chicago-based Prescient Solutions, talks about tips for safe online shopping.
Irvine is also a member of the National Cyber Security Task Force.
-Do not connect to free Wi-Fi spot. Every day, but especially during the holidays, cyber thieves will be trolling free Wi-Fi spots for opportunities to attack.
-Do not store data online such as credit card information and addresses-checkout as a guest.
-Use third party applications like PayPal as that are secure.
-Only use one credit card for online shopping, so if a breach occurs, you only have one card to cancel.
-Use name-brand websites, even if deals are better on unknown retailer website-they could be scams.
-Be wary of emails/text messages asking for your information-even if they appear to be from a trusted source, any messages asking for your personal info are likely phishing or smishing scams.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break 31 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 37 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 37 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured 56 min ago
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
40 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water...
31 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
37 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
37 min ago