Quilts of Valor
December 1, 2012 -- A non-profit organization is working feverishly to make quilts, so it can present them to a Northwest Indiana National Guard Company on Saturday, December 8, 2012.
In September 2011, Indiana National Guard 713th Engineering Co was deployed out of Valparaiso to Afghanistan. Several of its members were killed this year.
The Quilts of Valor Foundation (www.QOVF.org) is now getting ready to present handmade quilts to the remaining members of this company. Diana Richards, Indiana Coordinator for the foundation, came into our ABC7 studio with several handmade quilts to tell us the motional meaning of the quilts to veterans.
Quilts of Valor Foundation was founded in 2002 by a quilter named Catherine Roberts who had a son serving with the Marines. She saw a need for the quilters to bring quilts to the wounded. Since 2002, more than 70,000 quilts have been presented to active duty armed forces and veterans.
QOVF is a non-profit 501 c3 organization.
Donations can be sent to:
Quilts of Valor
PO Box 21
Wheeler IN 46393
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout